Viewgum - FreewareViewgum is a software for evaluating masticatory efficiency by the two-colour chewing gum test. The software was developed by Demetrios Halazonetis in collaboration with Martin Schimmel and Panos Christou.
Scanned images of chewed gum have been segmented:
DownloadVersion 126.96.36.199 (18/2/2017). File size: 1.35 MB.
Click here to download.
This version includes reference data for the Hue-Check Gum®.
After downloading, run the file to install Viewgum on your computer. This is a 32-bit software and requires Microsoft Windows.
Important NotesViewgum is freeware. No user support is provided, but do not hesitate to email for assistance. Any comments, bug reports or suggestions for improvements are welcome.
This software is for testing purposes only and should not be used for patient evaluation or diagnosis. This version may still contain significant bugs. Use at your own risk.
Hue-check Gum®Hue-Check Gum® is a two-colour gum specially developed for evaluating masticatory efficiency. For more information please visit the Orophys website. dHAL Software does not have any financial interest or affiliation with Orophys GmbH or its products.
Revision HistoryVersion 188.8.131.52
Corrected bug loading PNG files with alpha channel.
Hue calculation changed to reflect the traditional mapping (see HSL and HSV Wikipedia article).
Added function to save RGB data to text file.
Added function to save the image as a PNG file, where all background pixels are set to transparent.
ReferencesViewgum is described in this paper:
- Halazonetis DJ, Schimmel M, Antonarakis GS, Christou P. Novel software for quantitative evaluation and graphical representation of masticatory efficiency. J Oral Rehabil 2013;40:329-35. doi: 10.1111/joor.12043.
- Schimmel M, Voegeli G, Duvernay E, Leemann B, Müller F. Oral tactile sensitivity and masticatory performance are impaired in stroke patients. J Oral Rehabil 2017;44:163-171. doi: 10.1111/joor.12482.
- Enkling N, Saftig M, Worni A, Mericske-Stern R, Schimmel M. Chewing efficiency, bite force and oral health-related quality of life with narrow diameter implants - a prospective clinical study: results after one year. Clin Oral Implants Res 2016. doi: 10.1111/clr.12822.
- Schimmel M, Christou P, Miyazaki H, Halazonetis D, Herrmann F R, Müller F. A novel colourimetric technique to assess chewing function using two-coloured specimens: Validation and application. J Dent 2015;43:955-64.
- Elsig F, Schimmel M, Duvernay E, Giannelli SV, Graf CE, Carlier S, Herrmann FR, Michel JP, Gold G, Zekry D, Müller F. Tooth loss, chewing efficiency and cognitive impairment in geriatric patients. Gerodontology 2015;32:149-56.
- Schimmel M, Leemann B, Schnider A, Herrmann F R, Kiliaridis S, Müller F. Changes in oro-facial function and hand-grip strength during a 2-year observation period after stroke. Clin Oral Investig 2013;17:867-76.
- Müller F, Duvernay E, Loup A, Vazquez L, Herrmann F R, Schimmel M. Implant-supported mandibular overdentures in very old adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Dent Res 2013;92:154S-60S.
- Müller F, Hernandez M, Grutter L, Aracil-Kessler L, Weingart D, Schimmel M. Masseter muscle thickness, chewing efficiency and bite force in edentulous patients with fixed and removable implant-supported prostheses: a cross-sectional multicenter study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23:144-50.
- Molenaar WN, Gezelle Meerburg PJ, Luraschi J, Whittle T, Schimmel M, Lobbezoo F, Peck CC, Murray GM, Minami I. The effect of food bolus location on jaw movement smoothness and masticatory efficiency. J Oral Rehabil 2012;39:639-47.
- Luraschi J, Schimmel M, Bernard J P, Gallucci G O, Belser U, Müller F. Mechanosensation and maximum bite force in edentulous patients rehabilitated with bimaxillary implant-supported fixed dental prostheses. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23:577-83.
- Schimmel M, Christou P, Herrmann F, Müller F. A two-colour chewing gum test for masticatory efficiency: development of different assessment methods. J Oral Rehabil 2007;34:671-678.